Singer-Songwriter from New York, NY
As a singer-songwriter from New York, NY, Tina Shafer started hosting and booking the New York Songwriters Circle in 1991, held at the legendary Bitter End in NYC. At first, Tina called upon some of her writing friends to do shows in the round. Later she decided to incorporate some young talent.
Friends included George David Weiss, Steven Dorff, Albert Hammond, Chuck Taylor, Siedah Garrett (Michael Jackson), Gary Burr, Hugh Prestwood, Big and Rich, Lana Del Rey, Gavin DeGraw.
Some of the talent that has come through the Songwriters Circle over the past 18 years:
- Multi -platinum-selling artist Vanessa Carlton was a voice student of Tina and booked at The Songwriters Circle. She was signed directly from The Circle and went on to have two huge hits, “A Thousand Miles” and “Ordinary Day”
- Grammy award-winning artist Norah Jones came through as Tina’s voice student
- Jesse Harris – a regular at the Circle -went on to win a Grammy for his hit song “I Don’t Know Why I Didn’t Come” (on Norah Jones’ first record)
“The New York Songwriters Circle has been heralded as one of the best showcases in New York for discovering talent.” Billboard Magazine
Tina is a seasoned musical performer, having opened for Suzanne Vega, and sung with Phoebe Snow, John Oates, Marc Cohn, Gary Burr, and Gavin DeGraw – to name a few.
Tina’s multi-platinum record discography includes:
- “Love Is on the Way” – Celine Dion‘s 33 million-selling album
- “Let’s Talk About Love” Centerpiece song for Bette Midler’s 100 million-grossing film “The First Wives Club”
- “Flower in the Rain” – Sheen Easton – and the theme song for the new “Outer Limits” TV series
- “The Way that You Love Me” – written with Albert Hammond for “Days of Our Lives”
- “Above The Band” for Phoebe Snow
Vocal Students – Present and Past
As a vocal therapist, Tina applies techniques that help heal the damage that can happen to overworked vocal cords.
As a vocal coach, Tina has had the great pleasure of working with some prestigious singers, including:
- Avril Lavigne
- Vanessa Carlton
- Lynn Sigler (Meadow Soprano)
- Gabe Saporta (Cobrastarship) Interscope
- Ducan Cummings (The Virgins)
- Friday Night Boys Atlantic
- Charlotte Sometimes Geffen Records
- Jesse Harris The Cutting Room Records
- Lana Del Rey Interscope
- CABB Abigail Breslin and Cassidy Reif